The Goji Berry Is One Of The Best Foods For Antioxidants
If you’re looking for a super food that is one of the best foods for antioxidants…let me introduce you to Mr. Goji Berry. It’s funny, I was sitting with my brother the other day and he asked me if goji berries really are a super food. He’s a smart guy (I mean he is a Gouthro), but I admit, I was quite impressed he actually knew what a goji berry was. That conversation gave me the idea to write this blog post to further promote the crazy health benefits of this super food.
If you’ve never seen a goji berry before, they look like red dried raisins. Although they may be new to the western world, they’ve been used in eastern medicine for thousands of years to cleanse the blood, treat diabetes, cancer, allergies, insomnia, and improve kidney, liver, eye, and skin problems (sounds like a winner to me). They’re still being studied today to learn more about the powerful effects of the nutrients, phytochemicals, and polysaccharides found within this berry. Wow…that was a mouth full!
The Nutritional Benefits Of Goji Berries And Why It’s One Of The Best Foods For Antioxidants
In addition to the medicinal benefits listed above, here are the other nutritional benefits of goji berries:
- One of the best foods for antioxidants. Goji berries are highly rated for their anti-aging effects and are ranked #1 on the ORAC scale (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) as having the largest amounts of antioxidants of any food. Think blueberries are an antioxidant powerhouse? Goji berries can have up to 10 times as many antioxidants as blueberries! Antioxidants are key in the battle against free radical formation in your body. Free radicals attack cells and damage the DNA which can increase disease and cancer. These free radicals are created by poor diet, the toxins in the environment, stress, smoking, and even excessive exercise. One form of antioxidant that goji berries are extremely high in is called zeaxanthin. This super antioxidant helps protect the retinas in your eyes and helps fight macular degeneration.
- High in vitamins. Goji berries are high in B vitamins and vitamin E.
- High in protein. Since goji berries contain 18 amino acids, they contain up to 6 grams of protein per serving.
- Contains 5 types of fatty acids including 2 essentials (linoleic acid & alpha linolenic acid)
- High in 21 minerals. They contain more beta carotene than carrots, more iron than spinach, and 5 carotenoids including beta carotene, cryptoxanthin, lutein, lycopene, and zeaxanthin.
- High in fiber. Goji berries contain up to 7 grams of fiber per serving.
- Contains healthy phytochemicals. These include betaine, beta sitoserol, cyperone, physalin, solavetivone. Betaine can aid in muscle growth, enhance memory, provide a calming effect, and help break down fats stored in the liver. Beta sitoserol is an anti-inflammatory that also helps increase virility and treat sexual impotence and prostate enlargement. Cyperone has cancer fighting properties, helps prevent cervical cancer, is healthy for the heart, and lowers blood pressure. Physalin is known to strengthen the liver, prevent hepatitis B, and help fight cancers such as leukaemia. Solavetivone contains anti-fungal and bacterial compounds.
- Contains 5 monosaccharides & 8 polysaccharides
Based on all these health benefits, goji berries really are a winner! Just make sure you buy goji berries without any added sugar or additives.
Where can you buy goji berries?
Most grocery stores still do not sell goji berries. I found this organic health food site that sells Organic Goji Berries and many other healthy foods.
While you’re there, you should also check out the Goji Berry Raw Crunch Energy Bar. Who says you can’t enjoy eating healthy food!
How do you eat goji berries?
To consume more goji berries, add them to your salads, oatmeal, yogurt, or mix them with nuts. Like all fruit, try consuming goji berries rather than goji berry juice. Most of the goji berry juices are too calorie dense, only contain small amounts of actual goji berries, and are loaded with sugar. Always eat foods in their most natural state. Goji berries can also be found in frozen form as well.
It can be expensive to eat goji berries every day. If you’re not eating them every day, it’s important that you still consume lots of high quality antioxidants.
An antioxidant supplement that I take is called “Longevity” from Prograde Nutrition. You can find it here:
I use this antioxidant supplement because it’s packed with the most powerful antioxidants including: Acai Berry, Biovin Grape (same as red wine), CoffeeBerry, Green Tea, and Pomegranate. That’s a lot of power in one supplement!
Live a healthier, longer life by consuming more foods high in antioxidants like goji berries.
To learn about other super foods, check out my Top 18 Fitness Super Foods video series here.
If you haven’t read my book, Awaken The Abs Within, yet, get your copy today to learn how to control your appetite and permanently eliminate all junk food cravings…forever!
What Other Foods Are Known As The Best Foods For Antioxidants?
Comment below with your best foods for antioxidants.